Salon Talk Mondays: Commission or Booth Rental

Being a Stylist for well over 18 years now I have seen my take on both commission and booth rental.I find you must be satisfied with what your doing and how you are doing it.You have to decide what fits in your plans for your future and stick to it. If your a stylist who makes a lot of money and would like to see most of it, then booth rental maybe ideal for you or maybe you are a stylist who makes tons of money and doesn't want all of the responsibility of renting a booth. If you are planning to open your own salon and you want to kind of get the feel for the Independence of the business such as ordering products, managing money, and paying rent at a timely manner, I say definitely  give booth rental a try but, booth rental has its fall back. Yes, it is like having your own and you now have a lot of responsibilities. You now have to order all of your own products from Relaxer,Color, to all of your finishing products. You may have to open and close the salon. Oh yes, don't forget that weekly rent is due. Now isn't that like running and owning your own salon? Not really! When you finally get to the level where you are a salon owner, you have to worry about cash flow, staff, products, and all of the bills that come with owning or renting your own building.

When I was a stylist working at other salons,  I worked  Booth rental for about 2 years and I was paying about $200 a week for my chair. I was supplying all of my products, towels, and paying my assistant. I thought, I am giving my salon owner almost $1,000 a month. There was a building for rent at the corner of the salon where I was presently working for $1000 a month so, why am I giving this guy that kind of money when I could have my own salon down the street.And from there my journey began as a salon owner. Although, at the time I thought I was coming out on top or equal, there were down falls I never considered. On top of that Rent were the electric, the gas, the water, advertising, signs,start up costs to buy equipment and salon furniture etc. So, just some things to show you guys Booth Rental  is not for every stylist but it might be right for you. So, go into it weighing all your odds.

Commission is the best method for stylist just starting off or stylist who just don't want to deal with the business part of the industry. They want to be creative and get paid. Nothing wrong with that! You get to concentrate on your craft, do some freelance work,and not have to worry about that business aspects. When you are commission all of your products are supplied, assistant is paid out of your commission, and you never have to worry about salon related issues besides being on time and when is your check going to be ready! If you work for a good salon then commission should be fair, work environment should always be clean, and now you should be able to create without all the worry.

Working commission never worked for me once I had established myself. I thought about all the money I was giving to the Salon Owner and never saw it quite fair. I wasn't looking at the big picture. I never had to worry about anything, it was all there. Everything I wanted, I just asked and my Salon Owner provided. Photo Shoots, Advertising, Marketing Tools, Great Salon to work in, and fed my book with new clients. When I look back at it now I was a stylist who was just destined to have her own but if I knew then what I know now, I would be right where I am now! I'm a Leo, a born Leader......

Comments

Popular Posts